Fireman & Company’s Performance Excellence Group
May 2016 – Present | Montreal
As a key member of Fireman & Company’s Performance Excellence Group, David combines experience as an attorney and c-suite executive with expertise in Lean Six Sigma and change leadership. He leads improvement initiatives that form the backbone of client innovations in process, pricing, knowledge management, and legal project management.
Co-founder and Lean Practice Management Advisor – Gimbal
April 2012 – Present | Montreal
David advises law firms and legal departments on strategies to increase efficiency and improve responsiveness, profitability, productivity, and competitive edge. He develops tailored, sustainable solutions that optimize the flow of value-adding legal services in law firms and corporate and governmental legal departments, and builds core teams of lawyers and other legal professionals able to lead continuous improvement initiatives. Practice management services include Lean training, change leadership/change management workshops, strategic planning, and process improvement project facilitation services. Together with his partner in Gimbal, David has
- developed the LeanLegal™ approach to improving service delivery in the legal industry
- trained over 1,000 lawyers and other legal personnel on Lean and continuous improvement
- facilitated legal process improvement projects in practice areas including corporate commercial law, intellectual property, litigation, immigration, privacy, and more
- improved legal business and administrative processes including onboarding, billing, corporate services, and more
BELLUS Health Inc.
2003-2011 | Montreal
As Director, Legal Affairs, and then Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, David
- was the strategic advisor to and liaison between the Board of Directors, the CEO, and the Executive Management Team, contributing to the corporation’s business planning and strategic objectives
- managed and supervised the work of internal and external counsel on all legal matters affecting the corporation and its subsidiaries, and established and managed the legal department’s budget
- coordinated and completed strategic IP out-licensing partnerships and acquisition transactions
- coordinated the legal work for more than US$350 million in financing through public offerings and private placements of both convertible debt and equity, including the IPO on NASDAQ
- advised on the successful pre-launch and launch of the corporation’s first product
- created and implemented sound corporate governance policies and practices under SOX and TSX rules, to manage and minimize contractual and enterprise risk
- directed the corporation’s successful defence in a dispute in the US Federal Court and before the International Chamber of Commerce
2000-2002 | London
As Deputy Director, Commercial and Legal Affairs at this venture capital company specializing in technology and technology-related investments, David
- structured and implemented a group-wide reorganization of Antfactory’s holding of service and portfolio investment companies
- advised on: the successful acquisition of ICE Securities investment bank, with registrations in the UK, Germany, Austria and on EASDAQ; the £1.5 million bridge financing of a significant UK-based media company; and the establishment of a strategic alliance between Antfactory and Spain’s leading insurance and financial services company, La Caixa.
- provided risk assessment and analysis to the weekly global New Deal Screening Committee.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
1998-2000 | London
As a senior associate in one of the firm’s M&A / Private Equity practice groups, David advised both sellers and buyers, and managed and coordinated large numbers of specialist attorneys and external advisors in the successful completion of cross-border M&A transactions and private equity auctions valued in the hundreds of millions of pounds sterling.
1989-1998 | London, Budapest, and Montreal
During almost a decade with one of Canada’s leading international law firms, David progressed through a variety of roles in Montreal, Budapest, and London. David practised general corporate and commercial law, including cross-border M&A and private equity work. In London, David was the senior associate on the team advising on Britain’s first PFI. He represented the firm and clients in business development and legal mandates throughout Central and Eastern Europe from the firm’s base in Budapest, and acted on the team representing the Hungarian State Privatization and Holding Company in connection with all aspects of the privatization of the Hungarian electricity industry.
Villanova University, Pennsylvania, 2012
Lean Six Sigma Sensei
McGill University Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec, 1987-1991
Dual degree: Bachelor of Common Law and Bachelor of Civil Law
National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan, 1986-1987
Fellowship to study Mandarin Chinese
Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 1982-1986
Bachelor of Arts – Geology (Highest Honours; Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society)